Homeowner Cooling Troubleshooting Checklist
What To Do When You Have Problems with Your AC System - Before You Call for a Repair Technician
Some problems with air conditioning systems can be solved quickly. Before you reach for the phone to call for an AC Technician to help follow our cooling troubleshooting checklist:
- Verify the system air filter is clean.
- Ensure that the thermostat is set in the cooling mode and that the temperature is set below the room temperature (3-5 degrees).
- Check the service switches for both the indoor and outdoor units. They should be in the ON position.
- Check to see if any of your circuit breakers are tripped in the electrical panel. Reset if needed.
- Make sure all vents and return air ducts are open and not blocked.
- Verify that the indoor blower is operating and cool air is coming out of the vents.
- Verify the outdoor unit is operating, and it is blowing warm or hot air from the fan.
- Verify the outdoor unit is not blocked and that it has at least 15 inches of free space between it and landscaping.
- JUST CALL LINK for service if this does not get your system running.
If Your Air Conditioning System is Having any of the Following Problems Call for Service Right Away:
- You notice fluid or water leaking from the unit
- You see a build-up of ice on the unit
- Your system is making strange noises or is noisier than usual
- You systems has a hard time starting up, or you notice your lights dim when it starts
- Your system runs continually